Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run
January 18 - Initial Entry is Over: We have more people on the entrants and wait lists at this point than last year. Comments for entrants and waiters:
Entrants: You are in. We hope you can run. If you can't, it's in your interest to withdraw as soon as you know you must. We will give significantly smaller refunds starting April 1, and all refunds are conditioned on there being someone one the wait list to replace you. The wait list will be smaller as the event approaches.
Lottery Results On January 9, the DOW Jones Industrial Average closed up at 25,385.80. That makes our starting number 580 and we count up. Lottery results.
If You Missed the Lottery: You may join the wait list on January 22.
New for 2018: Be sure to read about the faster entry schedule, and the reduced refund for withdrawals on or after April 1.
- Join the Wait List
- Entry data compared to prior years
- Chances of getting off the wait list
- Entry Process Explanation
Entry Schedule - 2018
- The entry schedule is on the entry start page. Note that events will occur faster than in prior years.
Our entry system is a bit different so be sure to review the system on this page. We will allow 208 on the final entrants list with a goal of 200 starters.
Changes for 2018: There are two important changes for 2018. These points are different from prior years.
- Compressed Schedule: Things will move more quickly this year. We will have the application period, the lottery, and then the time to pay right after one another. Lottery winners will be able to pay and be on the entrants list by mid-January. Last year, they had to wait until February to pay. This schedule will allow most people to know quickly whether they are in the race.
- Smaller Refund for Late Withdrawal: We will continue to withhold $25 from entry fee refunds for withdrawals requested on or before March 31. After March 31 and until April 9, we will withhold $100. This significant reduction in the refund amount for late withdrawals is intended to help people on the wait list know sooner whether they can run. This change makes it important to decide as soon as possible whether you will run. (All refunds are conditioned on someone being on the wait list to fill the vacated slot. All entry and refunds end on April 9.)
Qualifications for Entry: Entrants must be at least 18 years old and have met one of the following tests by the day entry opens (January 1, 2018):
- Completed a 100 mile race on or after January 1, 2015; or
- Completed two ultra distance races, at least one of which 50 miles or longer, on or after January 1, 2016.
- Clarifications: The qualifying run must be an official competition with an entry fee, required course, time limit, a Web site, and official results that are published on the Web. "Fat ass" or other informal runs do not count even if they produce results.
- You must finish the distance you signed up for in the time limit for the event. (Example, entering and starting a 100 mile run but dropping down to a 50 mile option or dropping out at any distance short of 100 miles, is not a qualifier.) You may not use any race you dropped out of regardless of how many miles you ran. Stage races may not be used unless one stage, by itself, qualifies in distance and has separately reported results, a required route, and a time limit. You may run a race longer than 50 miles to qualify as a 50 miler, but you must complete the race you entered. If you enter a 100km, you must finish the 100km to qualify as a 50 miler. You may use a 24 hour race as a 100 miler assuming you complete at least that distance. If you have a question about your qualifier, you should contact the RD ahead of time.
- Runners with five or more prior MMT finishes need not have a qualifier.
Entry Fee: The entry fee for 2018 will remain at $185.
Refunds: The entry fee is refundable less an amount we keep. You will receive a refund if:
- The request to withdraw from the event occurs on or before the day entry closes.
- There is someone on the wait list to fill the vacancy created by your withdrawal if the request occurs after March 31. (If there is no one on the wait list at the time of withdrawal, but someone joins the wait list later, we will issue refunds in the order requested.)
- We will withhold $25 from refunds for withdrawals requested on or before April 1 and $100 from refunds for withdrawals requested after that date.
Important: If you own a dog, be sure to read the rules on dogs before entering. Dogs are not allowed at the start/finish site.
Scholarships: The VHTRC sponsors the Debbie Morrin-Nordlund entry fee scholarships for needy runners. More information
RD Kevin Sayers welcomes Gary Knipling to the finish
Photo: Anstr Davidson
Wait List: We will maintain a wait list. Our experience is that many people will move from the wait list to the entrants list. This movement occurs slowly at first, but then much faster as the date of the run approaches. More information on chances of getting off the wait list and into the starting field.
Accommodations - Solo Division: You can reserve sleeping accommodations for Friday night at the start/finish, but that is not part of the entry process. Accommodation reservations will be taken starting March 1. Also, entrants can join the Solo Division starting that date.
You can order extra Friday night meals with entry. We expect that meals will be $8 with entry and $10 at the door.
About the Entry Process
The system is a two step process. You fill out the application, we have a lottery and, if you "win," you come back to the Web site to pay the entry fee. If you "lose" the lottery, you can join the wait list. Please at least skim this page before you start the entry process.
You don't pay during the first step in the proces. Payment occurs after the lottery.
Those seeking entry will apply on-line during the initial application period set out in the schedule. We will then pick the lottery “winners” and prioritize the list of lottery "losers" who are eligible to join the wait list.
During the period to pay or join the wait list, lottery winners and the top people on the wait list are eligible to complete the entry process by paying the entry fee. The lottery losers must join the wait list (if they want to) during this period. After the last day to pay or join the wait list, any lottery winner who failed to pay and any lottery loser who did not join the wait list will lose his or her right to join the entrant list or priority on the wait list.
Wait List Priorities: The initial field will be selected randomly. Each qualified runner has an equal chance of being in the initial starting field. We will, however, order the wait list using priorities. Given our experience with movement off the wait list, we expect that those with higher priorities will have a good chance of making it into the starting field.
Photo by Tom Sperduto
Here are the priorities from highest to lowest. Within priotity groups, ranking is by the random number that is assigned in the entry process. Within the priority groups based on number of finishes, runners are sorted first by number of finishes, then by lottery number. So all five time finishers would be ahead of all four time finishers.
- Applicants who, on three prior occasions in the last five years, served as pre-committed volunteers at the MMT and who were not in the starting field of the 2017 MMT.
- Prior overall winners of the men's or women's division of the MMT and prior race directors of the MMT
- Finishers of five or more MMTs, ranked by number of finishes
- "Last Year Losers" (formerly, "Two-time losers")
No one can qualify for this priority for 2018 since the , but here is the rule:
To qualify for the last year loser rule for the 2018 event, ALL of the following must apply to you:
- You entered the lottery for the 2017 MMT and were not selected;
- You joined the initial wait list for the 2017 MMT (i.e. you joined the wait list early enough to retain your priority);
- You did not withdraw from that wait list;
- You did not move from the wait list to the entrants list;
- You did not start the 2017 MMT; and
- You entered but were not selected in the lottery for the 2018 MMT.
NOTE: The wait list will reopen on January 22 for anyone who did not enter the lottery. Joining the wait list at that time and remaining until the end would not apply toward the "two-time loser" rule for the 2019 event.
- Finishers of four to one MMTs, ranked by number of finishes.
- All other applicants ranked by lottery number.
After the initial time to pay ends in January, we will reopen the wait list for persons who did not apply in the initial lottery or who did, but did not complete the process in a timely manner. At this point, people joining the wait list will do so at the end.
There is a full explanation of the VHTRC entry procedure if you are interested. It is very detailed. You are welcome to read it, but you don't have to.
Prior Entry Data
We have moved the entry data that was here. It is now on the chances of getting off the wait list page.