Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run
Entry Is Closed - Final Entrants List
- Final Entrants List - with bib numbers and sorted several ways
- Final Wait List - these six are eligible for priority if they apply next year
- Lottery Results
- By Lottery Number
- Alphabetical - includes qualifying run
- Hypothetical Lottery
- Final Wait List (May 2013) - includes Last Year Loser eligibility
Entry Schedule - 2014
- December 27: Last day to apply for an entry fee scholarship
- January 1, 2014, 9:00 a.m.: Application for 2014 MMT opens.
- January 8, 9:00 p.m.: Application for 2014 MMT closes.
- January 10, 4:00 p.m.: Closing DOW number used for lottery.
- February 1 - February 10 (9 p.m.): Time to pay! All applicants go back to the VHTRC Web site, and retrieve their applications. Those eligible to join the entrants list must pay, those eligible to join the wait list must join. Those not acting lose their right to join the entry list or wait list priority.
- March 1:
- First day wait listers may pay the entry fee.
- First day to reserve accommodations at the camp (start/finish) or to join the Solo Division.
- March 7: First day wait listers may move to the entry list.
- April 1:
- Wait list reopens to those not on it. Any qualified runner may join the end of the wait list.
- Last day to withdraw and receive a refund less $25. You can withdraw after this date, but the refund will be smaller. After this date, no refunds are given unless someone is on the wait list to take the place of the withdrawing entrant.
- April 25: Deadline to withdraw and receive an entry fee refund less $50 (if there is someone on the wait list). No withdrawals or refunds after this date. Entrants list will be set. (It may not appear on the Web for a day or two, but no changes are allowed after this date.)
Entry Is Closed
The entrants list is final. No more withdrawals or refunds are possible. Anyone who doesn't show will not be replaced. There are no exchanges of bib numbers permitted.
Lottery Results - DOW Number
The New York Stock Exchange closed down at 16,437.05. That made the starting number 705, and we count down. Lottery results
Our entry system is a bit different so be sure to review the system on this page. We will allow 208 on the final entrants list with a goal of 200 starters.
Qualifications for Entry: Entrants must be at least 18 years old and have met one of the following tests by the day entry opens (January 1, 2014):
- Completed a 100 mile race on or after January 1, 2011; or
- Completed two ultra distance races, at least one of which 50 miles or longer, on or after January 1, 2012.
- Clarifications: The qualifying run must be an official competition with an entry fee, required course, time limit, a Web site, and official results. "Fat ass" or other informal runs do not count even if they produce results.
- You must finish the distance you signed up for in the time limit for the event. (Example, entering and starting a 100 mile run but dropping down to a 50 mile option or dropping out at any distance short of 100 miles, is not a qualifier.) You may not use any race you dropped out of regardless of how many miles you ran. Stage races may not be used unless one stage, by itself, qualifies in distance and has separately reported results, a required route, and a time limit. You may run a race longer than 50 miles to qualify as a 50 miler, but you must complete the race you entered. If you enter a 100km, you must finish the 100km to qualify as a 50 miler. You may use a 24 hour race as a 100 miler assuming you complete at least that distance. If you have a question about your qualifier, you should contact the RD ahead of time.
- Runners with five or more prior MMT finishes need not have a qualifier.
Entry Fee: The entry fee for 2014 will remain at $185.
Refunds: The entry fee is refundable less an amount we keep. You will receive a refund if:
- The request to withdraw from the event occurs on or before the day entry closes.
- There is someone on the wait list to fill the vacancy created by your withdrawal if the request occurs after April 1. (If there is no one on the wait list at the time of withdrawal, but someone joins the wait list later, we will issue refunds in the order requested.)
- We will withhold $25 from refunds for withdrawals requested on or before April 1 and $50 from refunds for withdrawals requested after that date.
Important: If you own a dog, be sure to read the rules on dogs before entering. Dogs are not allowed at the start/finish site at all.
Scholarships: The VHTRC sponsors two entry fee scholarships for needy runners. The scholarships are based on need, not speed. Runners receiving a scholarship are not identified. If you want to apply for a scholarship, you must contact the RD by December 27. Scholarships will be awarded before entry opens. Receiving a scholarship does not insure entry to the event or give any priority in the entry process. The amount of the scholarship is the entry fee minus $10. Thus scholarship recipients will pay $10 plus the cost of any additional meals or accommodations ordered.
Wait List: We will maintain a wait list. Our experience is that many people will move from the wait list to the entrants list. This movement occurs slowly at first, but then much faster as the date of the run approaches.
Accommodations - Solo Division: You can reserve sleeping accommodations for Friday night at the start/finish, but that is not part of the entry process. Accommodation reservations will be taken starting March 1. Also, entrants can join the Solo Division starting that date.
You can order extra Friday night meals with entry. We expect that meals will be $8 with entry and $10 at the door.
About the Entry Process
The system is a two step process. You fill out the application, we have a lottery and, if you "win," you come back to the Web site to pay the entry fee. If you "lose" the lottery, you can join the wait list. Please at least skim this page before you start the entry process.
You don't pay during the first step in the proces, however. Payment occurs after the lottery.
Those seeking entry will apply on-line during the initial application period set out in the schedule at right. We will then pick the lottery “winners” and prioritize the list of lottery "losers" who are eligible to join the wait list.
During the period to pay or join the wait list, lottery winners and the top people on the wait list are eligible to complete the entry process by paying the entry fee. The lottery losers must join the wait list (if they want to) during this period. After the last day to pay or join the wait list, any lottery winner who failed to pay and any lottery loser who did not join the wait list will lose his or her right to join the entrant list or priority on the wait list.
Wait List Priorities: The initial field will be selected randomly. Each qualified runner has an equal chance of being in the initial starting field. We will, however, order the wait list using priorities. Given our experience with movement off the wait list, we expect that those with higher priorities will have a good chance of making it into the starting field.
Photo by Tom Sperduto
Here are the priorities from highest to lowest. Within priotity groups, ranking is by the random number that is assigned in the entry process. Within the priority groups based on number of finishes, runners are sorted first by number of finishes, then by lottery number. So all five time finishers would be ahead of all four time finishers.
- Applicants who, on three prior occasions in the last five years, served as pre-committed volunteers at the MMT and who were not in the starting field of the 2013 MMT.
- Prior overall winners of the men's or women's division of the MMT and prior race directors of the MMT
- Finishers of five or more MMTs, ranked by number of finishes
- "Last Year Losers" (formerly, "Two-time losers")
To qualify for the last year loser rule for the 2014 event, ALL of the following must apply to you:
- You entered the lottery for the 2013 MMT and were not selected;
- You joined the initial wait list for the 2013 MMT (i.e. you joined the wait list early enough to retain your priority);
- You did not withdraw from that wait list;
- You did not move from the wait list to the entrants list;
- You did not start the 2013 MMT; and
- You entered but were not selected in the lottery for the 2014 MMT.
NOTE: The wait list will reopen on April 1 for anyone who did not enter the lottery. Joining the wait list at that time and remaining until the end would not apply towards the "two-time loser" rule for the 2015 event.
- Finishers of four to one MMTs, ranked by number of finishes.
- All other applicants ranked by lottery number.
In early April, we will reopen the wait list for persons who did not apply in the initial lottery or who did, but did not complete the process in a timely manner. At this point, people joining the wait list will do so at the end.
There is a full explanation of the VHTRC entry procedure if you are interested. It is very detailed. You are welcome to read it, but you don't have to.
Prior Entry Data
We have moved the entry data that was here. It is now on the chances of getting off the wait list page.