Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run
Entry Reopens to All
April 1 at 9 a.m.
- Entrants List
- Wait List
- Reserve Accommodations
- Refund Processing
- Join the Solo Division
- Chances of getting off the wait list
- Entry Process Explanation
- By Lottery Number
- Alphabetical - includes qualifying run
- Lottery Results
- Hypothetical Lottery
- Final Wait List (May 2014) - includes Last Year Loser eligibility for 2015
- It is too late to withdraw
- Follow refund processing
Entry Schedule - 2015
- The entry schedule is on the entry start page.
Entry Update: If you are on the entry list, you just need to train. But, if you are considering withdrawing, it's in your interest to do so by April 1 since we withhold twice as much from refunds after that date.
On January 12, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down at 17,640.84. That makes our number 084. Here are the lottery results. Remember, you have to come back and pay the entry fee or join the wait list starting February 1. No one is put on the entry or wait list automatically.
Since we know that everyone will not pay, we have added the top 67 from the ordered potential wait list to the 208 winners on the list of those able to pay and join the entry list on February 1. (No one goes on any list automatically. You must act during the period February 1 - 10.)
The number of applicants this year is roughly the same as last year. Last year, all but six of the people who applied during the initial period, joined the entrants or wait lists on time, and didn't withdraw, were able to run the race.
Our entry system is a bit different so be sure to review the system on this page. We will allow 208 on the final entrants list with a goal of 200 starters.
Qualifications for Entry: Entrants must be at least 18 years old and have met one of the following tests by the day entry opens (January 1, 2015):
- Completed a 100 mile race on or after January 1, 2012; or
- Completed two ultra distance races, at least one of which 50 miles or longer, on or after January 1, 2013.
- Clarifications: The qualifying run must be an official competition with an entry fee, required course, time limit, a Web site, and official results. "Fat ass" or other informal runs do not count even if they produce results.
- You must finish the distance you signed up for in the time limit for the event. (Example, entering and starting a 100 mile run but dropping down to a 50 mile option or dropping out at any distance short of 100 miles, is not a qualifier.) You may not use any race you dropped out of regardless of how many miles you ran. Stage races may not be used unless one stage, by itself, qualifies in distance and has separately reported results, a required route, and a time limit. You may run a race longer than 50 miles to qualify as a 50 miler, but you must complete the race you entered. If you enter a 100km, you must finish the 100km to qualify as a 50 miler. You may use a 24 hour race as a 100 miler assuming you complete at least that distance. If you have a question about your qualifier, you should contact the RD ahead of time.
- Runners with five or more prior MMT finishes need not have a qualifier.
Entry Fee: The entry fee for 2015 will remain at $185.
Refunds: The entry fee is refundable less an amount we keep. You will receive a refund if:
- The request to withdraw from the event occurs on or before the day entry closes.
- There is someone on the wait list to fill the vacancy created by your withdrawal if the request occurs after April 1. (If there is no one on the wait list at the time of withdrawal, but someone joins the wait list later, we will issue refunds in the order requested.)
- We will withhold $25 from refunds for withdrawals requested on or before April 1 and $50 from refunds for withdrawals requested after that date.
Important: If you own a dog, be sure to read the rules on dogs before entering. Dogs are not allowed at the start/finish site at all.
Scholarships: The VHTRC sponsors the Debbie Morrin-Nordlund entry fee scholarships for needy runners. More information
Wait List: We will maintain a wait list. Our experience is that many people will move from the wait list to the entrants list. This movement occurs slowly at first, but then much faster as the date of the run approaches.
Accommodations - Solo Division: You can reserve sleeping accommodations for Friday night at the start/finish, but that is not part of the entry process. Accommodation reservations will be taken starting March 1. Also, entrants can join the Solo Division starting that date.
You can order extra Friday night meals with entry. We expect that meals will be $8 with entry and $10 at the door.
About the Entry Process
The system is a two step process. You fill out the application, we have a lottery and, if you "win," you come back to the Web site to pay the entry fee. If you "lose" the lottery, you can join the wait list. Please at least skim this page before you start the entry process.
You don't pay during the first step in the proces, however. Payment occurs after the lottery.
Those seeking entry will apply on-line during the initial application period set out in the schedule at right. We will then pick the lottery “winners” and prioritize the list of lottery "losers" who are eligible to join the wait list.
During the period to pay or join the wait list, lottery winners and the top people on the wait list are eligible to complete the entry process by paying the entry fee. The lottery losers must join the wait list (if they want to) during this period. After the last day to pay or join the wait list, any lottery winner who failed to pay and any lottery loser who did not join the wait list will lose his or her right to join the entrant list or priority on the wait list.
Wait List Priorities: The initial field will be selected randomly. Each qualified runner has an equal chance of being in the initial starting field. We will, however, order the wait list using priorities. Given our experience with movement off the wait list, we expect that those with higher priorities will have a good chance of making it into the starting field.
Photo by Tom Sperduto
Here are the priorities from highest to lowest. Within priotity groups, ranking is by the random number that is assigned in the entry process. Within the priority groups based on number of finishes, runners are sorted first by number of finishes, then by lottery number. So all five time finishers would be ahead of all four time finishers.
- Applicants who, on three prior occasions in the last five years, served as pre-committed volunteers at the MMT and who were not in the starting field of the 2014 MMT.
- Prior overall winners of the men's or women's division of the MMT and prior race directors of the MMT
- Finishers of five or more MMTs, ranked by number of finishes
- "Last Year Losers" (formerly, "Two-time losers")
To qualify for the last year loser rule for the 2015 event, ALL of the following must apply to you:
- You entered the lottery for the 2014 MMT and were not selected;
- You joined the initial wait list for the 2014 MMT (i.e. you joined the wait list early enough to retain your priority);
- You did not withdraw from that wait list;
- You did not move from the wait list to the entrants list;
- You did not start the 2014 MMT; and
- You entered but were not selected in the lottery for the 2015 MMT.
NOTE: The wait list will reopen on April 1 for anyone who did not enter the lottery. Joining the wait list at that time and remaining until the end would not apply toward the "two-time loser" rule for the 2016 event.
- Finishers of four to one MMTs, ranked by number of finishes.
- All other applicants ranked by lottery number.
In early April, we will reopen the wait list for persons who did not apply in the initial lottery or who did, but did not complete the process in a timely manner. At this point, people joining the wait list will do so at the end.
There is a full explanation of the VHTRC entry procedure if you are interested. It is very detailed. You are welcome to read it, but you don't have to.
Prior Entry Data
We have moved the entry data that was here. It is now on the chances of getting off the wait list page.