VHTRC Award Voting Page
This page provides all the information you need to know to participate in the VHTRC Awards voting process for the 2014 awards. As is typical of VHTRC elections, you can vote as often as you want before voting closes – but only your last vote will count. Voting closes on January 8.
These nominations came from your fellow VHTRC members during a nomination period in December. The nominations committee reviewed these submissions to confirm accuracy of the information included in the nominations and check whether the nominee meets the various requirements associated with the award in question.
Before you cast your vote, we would recommend that you re-familiarize yourself with the criteria for each of the awards. The awards criteria can be found here, along with a link to a list of prior award winners, which might also be helpful as you cast your votes.
Awards will be presented at our annual Awards party, scheduled for February 8. More information.
Use the button at the top right of this page under Award Vote Start. If there is no button there, you are probably not logged in or you are not a member of the club.
VHTRC 2014 Award nominations
The justifications for all awards are included here.
General comments: While organized events are obvious tests of ability and count heavily, any run may be considered. Awards are for achievements for the period Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2014.
A few potential nominees were not VHTRC members for the entire year, and thus did not meet the awards criteria.
Nominees are listed within categories in alphabetical order. Those nominated for performance awards are only permitted to be on the ballot in one awards category even if they were nominated across multiple categories; decisions on which category would be included on the final ballot were made by the nominations committee.
As you review the nominations, we hope you are struck by the breadth of the achievements of our club members in 2014. Whether on the run or in support of Happy Trails life, members from all generations of the club proved yet again that we in the VHTRC have much to be proud of in our crazy little – actually, not so little at all – pack of trail runners.
The Furbutt Award is a performance award that recognizes participation in club events as a runner and a volunteer. This award recognizes two runners -- one male and one female member of the VHTRC who showed up at just about every club run and participated by running in a determined manner, to the very best of his or her ability. This person tries really hard. But whereas the recipients would run most of our club events, (and would finish the events they entered, including MMT or BRR), he or she would not run all club events. He or she would occasionally volunteer. This is the award for the person who is really engaged in the VHTRC and supports the club by running well and volunteering in all our runs and events.
- Katie Keier
- Stephanie Wilson
- Paul Crickard
- Thomas McNulty
- Tom Simonds
Runner of the Year
Recognizes two runners -- one male and one female member of the VHTRC -- who have demonstrated consistently outstanding performances in trail runs during the past year. Nominees for this award may be considered not only for their speed but also for their versatility and consistency as well as their support and representation of the club while performing at this high level over the year.
- Kathleen Cusick: 1st, Cloudsplitter 100; 1st, Eastern States 100; 1st, Pinhoti 100; 1st, Vermont 100; 2nd, Pine Creek Challenge 100; 3rd, Massanutten Mountain Trails 100; 1st, Bull Run Run 50; 3rd, Stone Mill 50; 3rd, Tussey Mountainback 50; 2nd, The Big Schloss 50K; 2nd, Patapsco Valley 50K; 8th, Promise Land 50K; Double Reverse Ring (46:47, first loop 19:02, second loop 23:45, 1st)
- Annie Stanley: 4th, Grindstone 100; 9th, Bull Run Run 50; 10th, Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50; 4th, Highland Sky 40; 7th, Catoctin 50K; 8th, Terrapin Mountain 50K; 10th, Holiday Lake 50K; 15th, Promise Land 50K; 1st, Willis River 35K
- Megan Stegemiller: 1st overall, Dia de Los Muertos 24 (122.5m, U.S. National Team qualifier), 1st, Virginia Run for Cancer 24 (108.75m); 1st, Old Dominion 100; 1st, Iron Horse 100 (2nd overall); 2nd, Grindstone 100; 11th, Bull Run Run 50
- Brad Hinton: 8th, Grindstone 100; 2nd, The Ring; 4th, Hellgate 100K; 1st, Cacapon 12-hour (65m); 2nd, OSS/CIA 50; 9th, Bull Run Run 50; 3rd, Capon Valley 50K; 3rd, Dahlgren Heritage Rail Trail 50K; 3rd, Elizabeth’s Furnace 50K; 3rd, Martha Moats Baker Memorial 50K
- Keith Knipling: 2nd, Old Dominion 100; 13th, HURT 100 (29:03:00); 12th, Grindstone 100; 17th, Massanutten Mountain Trails 100; 1st, The Reverse Ring; 1st, The Big Schloss 50K; 4th, PB&J 50K; 7th, Martha Moats Baker Memorial 50K; 9th, Barkley Fall Classic 30, plus finishes at Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc 100 (36:26:37), Vermont 100, Hellgate 100K, Mount Hood 50, Bull Run Run 50, Stone Mill 50, Catoctin 50K, Terrapin Mountain 50K, and Promise Land 50K
- Jack Kurisky: 5th, Oil Creek 100; 15th, Massanutten Mountain Trails 100; finish, Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc 100; 9th, Virginia Run for Cancer 24-hour (90m); 7th, Hellgate 100K; 7th, Bull Run Run 50; 16th, Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50; 3rd, Icy-8 8-hour (50.3m); 1st, Mount Tammany 40; 8th, Elizabeth’s Furnace 50K; 6th, Barkley Fall Classic 30
Performance of the Year
Recognizes one male and one female member of the VHTRC for the most outstanding performance of the year in a trail run. "Outstanding" is considered in terms of course difficulty and weather conditions as well as the age, gender, and ability of the runner. In other words, this is a relative, not an absolute, test.
- Cherry Grassi: One of five women to complete the 2014 Beast Series – total time, 90:10:11; 8:32:13, Holiday Lake 50K; 7:58:27, Terrapin Mountain 50K; 8:22:59, Promise Land 50K; 35:50:39, Grindstone 100; 11:46:35, Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50; 17:39:18, Hellgate 100K.
- Robin Watkins: Course Record at Grindstone 100 – 1st woman and 14th overall, 22:53:13
- Joe Clapper: Completed his 22nd running of the incredibly rugged Escarpment Trail Run 30K (400 cumulative miles). This remote and rugged trail run features 10,000 feet of elevation change and is extraordinarily technical. To finish under 6 hours is noteworthy; Joe ran a 4:50:30 – just 7:15 slower than his 1993 finish.
- David Frazier: Course Record at Elizabeth’s Furnace 50K, 4:59:32.
- Gilbert Gray: One of five finishers of the 2014 Peak Races Ultra 200-miler, 78:20:05 (48,000 feet of climb).
- Frank Probst: 10th age group win and 25th finish at JFK 50, 10:40:57.
- Dave Quivey: Completed the Grindstone 100 in 31:36:57 despite bad knees, power-hiking past many runners to a sub-32:00 finish.
- Enrique Rubio: After a DNF at MMT 100 earlier in the year, went on to finish Grindstone 100 in 35:03:57 despite a knee injury that forced him to gut out miles 80-100 at a walk, using a tree limb to bear much of his weight.
Recognizes one male and one female member of the VHTRC whose performances in trail running in the past year have significantly improved.
- Shelly Cable: 48:56 improvement at Bull Run Run 50 (11:38:13), 29:34 improvement at Stone Mill 50 (11:07:10), finish at Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 (34:05:30, DNF in 2013)
- KC Guevara: 2:20:27 improvement at Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 (33:15:04).
- Siobhan Leonardis: 1st, Glacier Ridge 50; 2nd, Beast Series (75:36:28); 6:37:43 improvement at Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 (27:57:24), 34:46 improvement at Terrapin Mountain 50K.
- Helen MacDermott: Finish at Grindstone 100 (34:22:23, first 100); finish at Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50 (11:25:15, DNF in ’13); 13:16 improvement at Holiday Lake 50K, 37:42 improvement at Terrapin Mountain 50K; 57:25 improvement at Promise Land 50K.
- Birgit Mitchell: 3rd, Oil Creek 100 (23:55:11); 1st, 12-hour Adventure Trail Run (52m); 1st, Gunpowder Keg 50K (6:35:35); 1st, Holy Cowan's Gap 50K (7:09:00); 2nd, Bel Monte 50K (7:00:25)
- Nicklaus Combs: Grindstone 100 (27:35:06); Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 (32:05:44); Badwater Salton Sea 81 (24:46:50); 4th, TJ 100K (12:06:58); 5th, Martha Moats Baker 50K (6:26:00), 8th, Barkley Fall Classic 30 (8:32:45); Magnus Gluteus Maximus 50K (4:55:00)
- Dave Herring: Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 (30:01:33, first 100-miler); 7th, WV Trilogy (19:43:16); The Ring (23:47:00, first Ring finish); Highland Sky 40 (8:21:53); 2nd, The Big Schloss 50K (6:52:00); PB&J 50K (6:10:00), 26-minute PR at MGM 50K (5:14:00)
Rookie of the Year
Recognizes the male OR female member of the VHTRC who, in his or her first year of trail running has demonstrated mental toughness and persistence as well as ability.
- John Andersen: Finished Holiday Lake 50K (5:33:23), Terrapin Mountain 50K (5:04:55), Promise Land 50K (5:30:30), Catoctin 50K (5:24:36), Jarmans Invitational Marathon 30-miler (5:44:15), Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50 (7:59:22 -- 64 minutes faster than '13), and Hellgate 100K (12:06:40 -- nearly 5 hours faster than '13)
- Stephanie Huffman-Chivis: Finished Destin Beach Ultra Runs 50 (10:28:28), Bear Bait Ultramarathons 50K (7:01:00), Rosaryville 50K (6:11:21), 12 Hour Adventure Trail Run (45.5 miles), PB&J 50K (7:32:00), and Stone Mill 50 (10:28:35)
- Sarah Smith: Finished Icy-8 8hr (33.4 miles), 24 Hour Adventure Trail Run (75 miles), OSS/CIA 50 (12:47:31), 12 Hour Adventure Trail Run (52 miles), Patapsco Valley 50K (6:11:26), Stone Mill 50 (9:52:00), and JFK 50 (10:20:01 -- 5:25 faster than '13)
Given to the VHTRC Ambassador of the Year. You figure out the criteria.
- Rob Colenso
- Tracy Dahl
- Frank Probst