The Big Schloss
Trout Pond Recreation Area
The course is a single clockwise loop with a mix of singletrack trails and dirt roads. There are three aid stations. The highlight is the ascent of Big Schloss about 2/3 into the loop, with panoramic 360° views of the surrounding ridges and valleys.
There is no entry fee, instead we ask that you bring two gallons of water to contribute as aid.
The run will end at Picnic Pavilion A. We'll be grilling brats, burgers and veggie fare for everyone so plan to stick around after the run to cheer on your fellow finishers. If you want to make a weekend of it, Trout Pond campground is right next door.
We have a limit of 60 runners.
Finally, it's not too late to volunteer and spend the day in these beautiful mountains. Please email us if we can expect you.
WARNING: OBEY speed limits everywhere in West Virginia, especially in Wardensville.
Directions from the DC area
- I–66 west to where it ends at I–81.
- Take I–81 South (left exit from I–66) for 4 miles to exit 296, Rt. 55 West.
- Take Rt. 55 west 18 miles to Wardensville, WV.
- In Wardensville, make a left turn at a stop sign at the intersection with Rt. 259 (at a used car dealer) to remain on Rt. 55. (WATCH SPEED). Pass a Liberty Gas station on the left.
- Left at the “Garrett Insurance” sign on the left onto Trout Run Road, CR23/10.
- Follow Trout Run Road for 5.4 miles to the intersection with Thorny Bottom Road.
- Turn right onto Thorny Bottom Road.
- Follow Thorny Bottom Road for 6.2 miles to the entrance for Trout Pond.
- Turn left into park.
- Follow the Trout Pond access road for about a mile to the entrance station.
- The road forks.
- Take the left fork (which may involve passing the entrance station and turning left) if you want to go to the Start.
- The right fork goes to the campground.
Alternate Directions from Woodstock, VA
There is a Wal-Mart located in Woodstock exit at Route 81 for any last minute supplies. This route adds about 20 minutes to your drive.
- West on 66 to South on Route I–81.
- Go about 13 miles and Exit at Woodstock, take a right at the top of the ramp to head West. The Walmart will be a couple hundred yards up the road on your left.
- From Woodstock, take VA 42 west for 5.3 miles to Columbia Furnace.
- Turn Right on Union Church Road (there may or may not be a sign - but there is a church and cemetery there) for a .10 of a mile
- Turn Left on Rt. 623 Back Road for .20 of a mile.
- Turn Right onto SR 675, Wolf Gap Rd, for 3.0 more miles. Bear right where the road appears to swing left to remain on Wolf Gap Rd. There might be a small sign here indicating Wolf Gap Road.
- Go exactly 10.0 more miles, climbing a winding, narrow, paved road with blind curves, crossing the mountain at Wolf Gap Recreation Area, and descending the west side (now WV) on a winding, narrow, paved road with blind curves. You will see a brown sign signaling an upcoming left turn for Trout Pond.
- Turn left onto the road to Trout Pond, paved, curvy at first. This is CR 16, Thorny Bottom Rd, but there are no signs that say so.
- Go 6.2 miles on CR 16. A sign on the left announces the Trout Pond Recreation Area. Turn left onto a paved entrance road.
- Go over a mile to the entrance station.